Wednesday, June 24, 2009
To replace the holly and cypresses, we planted a weeping Japanese red maple (we got a great deal), a Pieris (also called Andromeda, pictured below), some Dianthus, and a heather plant--all alongside the azalea we had previously planted. I added a downspout diverter to make sure they don't get too much water (it'll hide among the daylilies, which are spreading like crazy in the background.). That, and the soaker hose, have not been disguised yet.
I am not crazy about neatly mulched beds, but until we get these gaps filled in and these plants get well established, it is a necessity. I am going to pull it back from the heather and Dianthus though, as I just read they don't like it. I'm not sure heather (to the right of the Pieris) was the best choice, but as the soil was worked really well, I think it may drain well enough for it. If that is the only thing that does not make it, I will be a happy girl.
We also had a bare spot among the yew, so I planted a Gardenia (above)--yes I am aware that it may die in the winter. But it says frost hardy for zone 7, so we'll give it a try and enjoy the fragrance for now. That's another heather in front of it.
The side yard was a blank slate, with a narrow empty bed already in place. We planted Camellias in front of the two windows and two Heucheras (purple leaves), and I'm spreading the violets around. It's a work in progress obviously, but looks so much better already. Now I just need a sweetshrub (Calycanthus floridus) to finish out the area.
Finally, the long bed along the driveway was full of weeds when we moved in. I sowed a shade-loving mix that is thriving but full of biennials that won't bloom till next year. I have major plans for the most shaded part of the strip, which is currently full of wild strawberry. I can't wait until fall to plant that!