Monday, October 1, 2012

Far-out Fall Flora

It's all about the leaves and subtle dusky tones at this time of year, but there are pops of color, too.
Mist flower (Ageratum sp.)
Pokeweed (Phytolacca americana)
Butterfly Bush (Buddleia sp.)

Dahlia "Otto's Thrill" -- The buds are nice since the flowers turn to mush within hours of opening. I've found it's better to cut them back in summer so they can bloom in fall when they might fare better.
Pineapple Sage (Salvia elegans) -- I like how the flowers start out dangling and move upright. A rare exception to my "no red" rule. Reliable hardy in my zone 7 garden, but sadly blooming when most hummingbird has departed.

My cypress vine is finally blooming!

I like the weird dark flower buds.




















Borage

Zinnia bloom, above, and buds with cool black-edged scales, below
.

No comments:

Post a Comment