Friday, July 20, 2012

A Wildly Pleasing Combo

Here are two varietals I planted in my native plant garden, backed by wild native plant "volunteers."
front: "Little Joe" Joe Pye weed (Eutrochium/Eupatorium dubium) Actually, this spot is too sunny/dry, and this will be moved when I yet again re-work my large flower bed.
rear: "Ruby Spice"summersweet (Clethra alniflolia) This is fragrant, and the bees love it! Keep it in back, though, because it is quite late to leaf out in spring.
on the fence: Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) I transplanted the Virginia creeper here because I was worried another neighbor would not want it growing on her fence, where it had originally cropped up. I also hope it will out-compete the English ivy that runs rampant here.  Gorgeous fall color, too!
over the fence: poke weed (Phytolacca americana) I can never not think of Elvis's version of "Poke Salad Annie." Though weedy, it is quite beautiful with its dangling racemes, and a bird favorite.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment