Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Belated Valentine's Flower Post

I don't give much thought to Valentine's day, but this article gave me pause: There's a 1 in 12 Chance Your V-Day Flowers Were Cut by Child Laborers. There's no way to make sure all of our purchases are positive for humanity (something I'm sadly reminded of every time I use my iPad), but this article is a good reminder that flowers should be on the list of things we try to buy locally. In addition to child labor, there is the issue of pesticide use and the fact that it is just insanity to import flowers. I'm lucky that I grow a lot of my own, and I try to get the rest at the farmers' market or Whole Foods, where they sell Virginia-grown flowers.

4 comments:

  1. I wasn't sure if you would see my reply on my blog, so just in case, here it is!

    Small world! Charleston is one of my favorite cities. I spent 10 years in Clemson between school and work. I fell in love with the people and the beauty. I think it's great that you're also in a small house growing your garden. Maybe we can learn a thing or two from each other!

    Nice to meet you and happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this blog. I needed some blog to send a lovely pictures of flowers, so i have searched it.flowers2world

    ReplyDelete