Wednesday, August 24, 2011

PostVacation Surprise and Fall Preview

I've been away at the beach, and in the meantime the garden kinda exploded. I carried what I could harvest onto the plane. The garden sitter and cat sitter ate their fill of cherry tomatoes, but the okra was blocked by the winter squash, so some pods got away. The cucumbers--my first that were not bitter!--are now showing signs of disease but will hopefully give us some more delicious lemon cukes.
In addition to coming home to an earthquake (what?) and some lovely fall-like weather, I came home to about 15 candy roaster squash. I conquered the squash vine borer!
I also have a nice crop of summer squash coming:
The eggplant are liking the cooler weather and should produce better through fall:
The lima beans are full of blooms for a second crop, and the black eyed peas are exuberant, and though over-nourished are producing well:
My fall garden planning has been woefully inadequate, but I'll soon sow lettuce, arugula, tat soi, collards, kale, spinach, beets, turnips, carrots, beets, scallions, radishes, fava beans, mache, and maybe a fall crop of peas. I've probably missed the boat on broccoli and cauliflower, and definitely on Brussels sprouts. The timing just never works for me on those, but a winter of greens and roots would be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment