Monday, September 24, 2012

Tossing Seeds

I finally finished the fall plantings--more radishes, beets, carrots, plus spinach and turnips. The Asian greens are doing well. In addition to pak choy and tat soi, I'm trying komatsuna, Chinese broccoli, and Tokyo Behana (such great names). Of course Baker Creek and High Mowing Seeds have a great selection, but I also went to the experts at Kitasawa.

I purchased kale seedlings because I could not manage to start my own seeds on time. The quest continues!
Now all I have to do is water and monitor for slugs and cabbage moth/caterpillars (already picked a few off my Brussels sprouts even though they are under row cover!).
I'm also eeking out every last sweet pepper, bean, okra pod, tomato, and eggplant. The squash I thought was a barely hanging on lemon squash is actually a buttercup--it is questionable if it will make it to maturity in the next two or so months before frost. 



1 comment:

  1. Caterpillars and slugs--the bane of my existence! So far I've only found one caterpillar on a broccoli plant, but I've seen lots of moths fluttering about, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I get more. :(

    I order seeds from Kitazawa too. I love growing things you can't buy at the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete