Wednesday, April 25, 2012

This is why...

You don't plant tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers before nights are consistently warm--no matter how warm the winter and spring are. When temps in the 40s returned, I had to wrap them with row cover in the rain. I know better, but I just could not resist.

On the bright side, the spinach, lettuce, peas, and fava beans are quite happy to return to cool weather. The fava beans (peeking out above the wrapped tomatoes above, were overwintered and should create my most successful harvest yet!

And the kale that I transplanted (it's staying under row cover to keep the cabbage worms out) is doing nicely.

This is probably the first time I've actually gotten the timing right with spring and summer crops. So much overwintered, so along with the record warmth it was easy to start seeds. Now that I have eight beds, I have room to start the summer stuff while keeping the cool season crops.

No comments:

Post a Comment