Friday, November 12, 2010

Pest Problems

I've been pretty lucky in the pest department. The exception is the cabbage worms (technically caterpillars), which devour everything in the Brassica family (broccoli, arugula, etc.) They are pretty easy to hand-pick (then drop in a bowl of soapy water). I dispensed with a dozen in one day. This is the culprit, a pretty white butterfly: They are declining now with the cold nights, and the seedlings have survived, albeit with some holes.
Now my only problem is identifying my various Brassica plants--in a rush before summer vacation, I put my seedlings out without labels, not really confident they were going to make it (next year, I'm getting a light setup). I eventually planted them: broccoli, Brussels sprouts, collards, and kale, but I won't which is which for a while. I can identify the kale (above). I'm really hoping this big one is a brusssels sprouts plant. but broccoli would be great too:

No comments:

Post a Comment